Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
My different half has thick hair, which suggests most standard shaving merchandise irritate his pores and skin. I’ve been making homemade shaving options for him for years now. A DIY aftershave is the right strategy to observe up a pure shave routine. This home made aftershave tightens pores, soothes irritations, and softens pores and skin.
Make DIY Aftershave With Natural Ingredients
Most aftershave merchandise are made with numerous alcohol and scent potent… however not in a great way. DIY aftershave although is an effective way to get skin-soothing substances. By making it ourselves, we’re skipping the toxic chemicals and overpowering smells.
Some individuals want an aftershave balm or aftershave lotion, however this recipe is thinner and extra of an aftershave spray or splash.
This aftershave recipe has numerous variations, however don’t be intimidated. You actually solely want 4 substances! From there, you will get as fancy as you wish to customise for scent and pores and skin sort.
Nourishing Essential Oils
We’ve talked about our base substances, however which important oils are good for aftershave? And what about herbs? Essential oils are a straightforward strategy to scent the aftershave, however they provide a lot extra.
Here’s a breakdown of some totally different important oils and what they do for pores and skin:
- Juniper berry – Antiseptic and astringent to tighten the looks of pores.
- Sweet orange – Brightens uninteresting pores and skin, uplifts the temper, and fights a broad array of germs.
- Lavender – Uplifts and calms the temper. Good for any form of broken pores and skin, relieves itching and soothes painful, broken pores and skin.
- Patchouli – Good for chapped and broken pores and skin, eczema, psoriasis, and oily pores and skin.
- Sandalwood – Helps dry, delicate, oily or chapped pores and skin. Also helpful to cut back the looks of scars.
- Vetiver – Calming, enjoyable and uplifts the temper. Soothes cuts whereas it eases stress.
- Cedarwood – Woodsy smelling and good for irritated or delicate pores and skin.
- Tea tree – Good for broken pores and skin, soothes irritations and itchiness.
Other good-smelling choices are chamomile, bergamot, eucalyptus, frankincense, peppermint, and grapefruit. Tip: Be cautious to dilute the bergamot and grapefruit important oil sufficient so that they received’t trigger phototoxicity. Peppermint and eucalyptus may also be irritating so needs to be effectively diluted.
You can learn extra about the right way to safely use every essential oil here.
Suggested Essential Oil Blends:
- Fruity Forest mix – 7 drops every juniper berry, fir needle, and candy orange important oil
- Spiced Forest mix – 8 drops bay, 4 drops every lavender, clove, and vetiver
- Hippy mix – 10 drops patchouli, 5 drops every tea tree and bergamot
Skin-Loving Herbs (Optional)
Here are extra particulars on some skin-loving herbs – any of those are good selections so as to add to your aftershave. Use what you have got readily available and observe your nostril!
- Sage – Helps to construct tissue, moisten, and soothe and relieve dry or broken pores and skin. Sage can be anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antiseptic, astringent, and a circulatory stimulant.
- Yarrow – Yarrow helps with swelling and disinfecting wounds. It’s additionally antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, pain-relieving, and astringent. It additionally acts as a styptic to cease extra bleeding.
- Calendula – Anti-inflammatory and moisturizing to assist soothe and calm broken pores and skin. It additionally works as an astringent and antimicrobial for cuts. Calendula additionally has salicylic acid to assist ease the ache of irritated pores and skin. I also use it for bug bites, anti-itch cream, and more.
- White pine – White pine is each warming and cooling. It stimulates circulation to maneuver blood, and its anti-inflammatory motion reduces irritation. Pine can be antiseptic, antibacterial, and astringent.
- Raspberry leaf – Rich in nutritional vitamins and minerals with nutritional vitamins E, C, and B advanced, calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, niacin, magnesium, and manganese. Raspberry leaf can be astringent and anti inflammatory.
While we’re not placing dried herbs immediately within the aftershave bottle, there are a number of methods to incorporate their advantages. See the FAQ part after the recipe for recommendations on the right way to make your individual natural infusions so as to add to your aftershave.
Herbal DIY Aftershave Recipe
This home made aftershave makes the right present for the person in your life. Packed with nourishing and moisturizing substances it soothes pores and skin whereas including a light-weight scent.
Yield: 2 ounces
2 ounce bottle
Either a twig bottle or an everyday one will work for this recipe. Be positive to retailer away from direct mild and warmth.
DIY Aftershave: FAQs
Once you grasp the bottom recipe, right here’s the right way to add a number of extras, plus storage ideas!
What’s a glycerite and the way do I make one?
Herb-infused glycerine is named a glycerite. Glycerites might be made inside a number of hours in case you’re doing it on the range, or a number of weeks if doing it with daylight. The additional step is effectively value it although! Here’s how to make a glycerite from dried herbs.
How do I make herb-infused witch hazel?
- Fill a glass jar half filled with dried herbs of your selection.
- Cover fully with witch hazel and let sit for 2 weeks, shaking as soon as or so a day.
- Strain the herbs out with cheesecloth or a espresso filter.
How lengthy will DIY aftershave final?
Instead of counting on alcohol and chemical preservatives, this aftershave recipe makes use of self-preserving substances. After all, in case you’re giving this aftershave as a gift for Father’s Day or Christmas, most received’t wish to preserve it within the fridge.
The magic right here is within the substances. We’re utilizing glycerin and witch hazel which each have a shelf lifetime of a number of years. Add to that the important oils which additionally final a extremely very long time when saved correctly. All issues thought-about, this DIY aftershave ought to final about 2 years when evaded mild and warmth.
You’ll most likely have it used up earlier than then although!
More Natural Personal Care Recipes for Men
What herbs and important oils will you embody in your home made aftershave?
- Foster, S, (1993). Herbal Renaissance. Peregrine Smith Books.
- Hoffman, D. (2003). Medical Herbalism. Healing Arts Press.
- Mars, B. (2007). The Desktop Guide to Herbal Medicine. Basic Health Publications, Inc.
- Robins, W. (N.D.). Essential Oils Directory: Essential Oil Properties, Uses and Benefits. https://www.aromaweb.com/essentialoils/default.asp
- Wood, M. (2004). The Practice of Traditional Western Herbalism. North Atlantic Books.
- Wood, M. (2009). Earthwise Herbal: A Complete Guide to New World Medicinal Plants. North Atlantic Books.