Sure, you could buy pumpkin spice at the store, but with just five ingredients, it’s easy enough to make at home! Add it to your baked goods this fall, a Thanksgiving pumpkin pie, or make your own pumpkin spice syrup for an at home PSL (pumpkin spice latte, for those of you who’ve never had one before)!
PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 teaspoon ground cloves
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Store in a mason jar or Tupperware and put in a cool, dry place.
PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE SYRUP
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup pumpkin purée (canned pumpkin)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated/coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice (see recipe above)
- Cheesecloth (to strain the syrup)
- In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients. Simmer over low-medium heat, stirring frequently, for 10-15 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when it has a thin, syrup-like consistency and coats the back of a spoon.
- Let the syrup cool and then strain it through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth to remove some of the grittiness from the spices.
- Pour the syrup into a bottle or jar. Store the jar in the refrigerator for up to one month.
- Shake the jar/bottle of syrup and then add 2-3 teaspoons to freshly brewed coffee and top with foamed milk.